Tuesday 17 December 2019

Cardiff, I'll be there now in a minute

I came to Cardiff back in 2015, on a Megabus from London. It was a rainy September evening as me and Tina got off at Kingsway and walked by the Castle, through Westgate street and on to the central station. There we joined the masses off people queuing a good hour for the trains after a world cup rugby game between New Zealand and Wales. You see, our destination was actually Newport, but our Megabus service did not stop there and thus we got to experience this brief taster from the Wales's capital. Rain, crowds, waiting... I had a huge backpack, another big bag and two guitars, and after over a day of travelling in the coaches, I had enough.

Just before boarding the bus to London
Fast forward a few years. It's a mid-December evening in late 2019, as I am standing on the same bus stop and waiting for another Megabus service, this time bound for the opposite direction towards London. It does not rain, I have just one guitar with me, and I'm alone. But this time, I'm not saying "I had enough"...

If someone told me back in 2015, that I'd come to feel this way about Cardiff - as if it was my real home - I'd probably laugh in their face. Too much did I think that the UK society, including Cardiff's, is shallow and consuming and not really for me, and that I'd be long gone by now. Yet thinking of Cardiff as my home is exactly how I feel when writing these words some 4 years later. Cardiff has become a part of me, and I became part of Cardiff.

But what is it, Fero, about Cardiff, huh? Is it the seemingly omnipresent danger of torrential rain? Or the strong winds that blow away your guitar case when busking, along with all the money in it? Or is it the red dragon that's always up in the sky, keeping an eye on the crazy folks going for the Saturday party? Well, yeah, all that for sure. But that's just a part of it.

My former studio in Cardiff - cozy, warm, affordable and walking distance to the city centre. Doesn't get better than this!
But if you want some reasons, here you go, mate. There's the ideally sized city centre. Not too small to find a restaurant or a pub suiting any taste - best ever pizza at the Real Italian, lively Womanby street with its rock n'roll bands and Green shit at The Moon or a whole selection of hipster cafes for those unique catch ups on life with Alex...

The most memorable post-green-shit pic, with Beerjamin, Smelliska and Lady Gaga herself
But a city centre not too large either, making the odds high that you'd run there into a friend or two on a Saturday afternoon, especially when busking around The Hayes. It's simply the ideal size, and the crowded streets after a rugby match that we've seen on the first evening are actually something I came to enjoy, creating a unique atmosphere like nowhere else.

Christmas busking for Llamau 2019 with some amazing voices sourced from the ONS choir.

Best pizza in the world can be found at Real Italian. Obviously I am completely unbiased having worked at RIPC in 2015/16

Next, we have the surroundings. You could argue that that's no longer Cardiff - but anything reachable for a nice summer day trip counts (reminding me of Vinny's story, when he rented a car in Cardiff, did a trip to Neath and when he asked about "what's there to see", he got a response "well, you can do a day trip to Cardiff"). And the Cardiff area has it all - the hills, lakes and waterfalls of Brecon Beacons or Black mountains, the cycling options around Caerphilly or Monmouth, or the unique shores and cliffs around Llantwit Major.

My favorite part of Wales. This cliff that we saw from Nash Point on our cycling trip with Jon was photographed by the best photographer I know - Gareth Llewellyn. I then got the pic painted by the best painter I know - Miles Johal and it's hanging
above my head while writing these words...
There's much more than that which makes Cardiff such a unique city. The lovely Bay area, the affordable living costs, the many societies and clubs such as Cardiff Toastmasters, South Wales Agile group, PyData or AI meetups...

After seeing the September sunrise in Cardiff Bay


The people of Cardiff Toastmasters
But if there's one main thing that made my time in Cardiff so unforgettable and enjoyable, it just must be the ONS, and the Methodology department in it.




This workplace not only taught me so much and helped me grow professionally, as well as on a personal level. It was also a place I'd simply look forward to go to every single morning, almost not feeling a difference between being there and being at home. Well, it just was another home...

The best corner of ONS....
It was there where Andy would say "you learn just as much from the bad line managers, as you do from the good line managers" on our first catch up, instantly making me wonder "is he saying it because he'll be a bad line manager?". Hah, he was the best, just like Nigel... Karen would make for the best project lead I could ask for, giving us all opportunities, trust, support - and most of all - the feeling that she cares. And Owen would always recognize where the junction of my strengths, potential and next challenge lies, and push me gently towards those projects...

Some of the nicest people I've ever met were from the ONS.

Kostas at the bus stop - a typical and a welcome
morning sight!
It was there at ONS where Phil, sipping his coffee, stroking his beard and looking out at the trees outside while thinking would always have the right answer for my question, sometimes even when I was not sure what I'm actually asking. It was there where I'd find the nicest colleague doubling up as the best rubber duck Huw, one that would usually sit just "by'ere". And it was there where Eleanor's arrival would lift my mood every day, invariably showing up with a wide smile, usually cheerfully commenting on how she got wet cycling in through the rain.

Already on the way to work, meeting the awesomest Greeks Kostas and Nicki at the bus stop would be a moment to look forward to. On the way back running into Hazel, I would look for every opportunity to dig for the golden nuggets in some of the most meaningful chats one can possibly have. And on the days when Jon'd give me a ride back, I knew in advance I'd end up walking from Mackintosh place, as we'd always end up so involved in discussion that he'd forget to take the right turn off A48.

On occasions, we'd feel sporty and cycle in or out with Jon, Danni, or Rose, through the pastures green with cows and canals, or over the hills of Caerphilly.

Cycling through Caerphilly on the way back from ONS, with Rose and Danni.

I'd forever see Vinny as the breath of fresh air in Methodology, someone who made us all more social with pub evenings, movies or philosophical brunches. Atanaska would take care of my sourdough while I'd be away, kind of like neighbours do with plants or dogs. Denise would make the supreme Millionaire's shortbread and the late addition to the office Sarah would baffle the whole directorate by anonymously making the best Tiramisu ever to see the light of the world, leaving only a teasing message saying "Enjoy, happy Thursday".

Is it now clearer why it was hard to leave ONS? ;-) Another superb cake made by Sarah for my last day
Christmas choir concert at the nursery on ONS premises
It was a night to remember. But it was somehow hard to remember the next day... :-P

I could go on and on, for there's no shortage of good memories involving ONS. But that would likely make this blog post reach some sort of length limits... Therefore to put it simply:

Thank you so much, ONS.



And thank you so much Cardiff. 

You are a unique place and a place I will never forget. You've been full of fun, warmth, beautiful countryside, music, and most of all, full of amazing people and friends.

And although it may be time to move on, I will damn make sure that the ties won't be cut.

Vinny standing perfectly up to the task of keeping my thinking positive about the move, while moving my stuff to London

For as Ben put it: "you can take the boy out of Cardiff, but you can never take Cardiff out of the boy".

Well, we'll see what happens. It's too early to say. So perhaps best to use that Welsh phrase which kind of doesn't make sense (or was made for these kind of situations):

"Cardiff, I'll be there now in a minute!"

No comments:

Post a Comment